I mulled over this entire project for more than a year, so it's about damn time I actually sat and wrote some code. It's not great. And there's not a lot of it. But it's there. Indeed, I think a lot of it will have to be rewritten, but we'll see. I started with some of the basic user interface stuff. Nothing special. Just a window with a large text area for displaying, and a small text field for giving commands. That's it. That's all I wrote.

But I'm okay with this. I don't always have time to sit and work on it. The fact that I finally wrote anything at all is a huge leap forward. Sure, it's just a little bit of UI building with some functions I think I'll want later, and it doesn't particularly do anything yet, but it's something. And that "doing something" bit is my goal for next week.

As I mentioned in my previous update, I decided to split the codebase into two major pieces, a runtime and the framework. What I started this week is the runtime. What I'm going to start next week is the framework side of things. I'm hoping to get to a point where I can start building a game and it outputs something I can see. I don't expect this will be terribly difficult, but the communication between the two parts was what I had trouble wrapping my head around last week. There's only one way to find out - start writing more code.

If you'd like to look at what I've written (please don't, it's horrible and disgusting), head over to Beanstalk on GitHub and take a peek.